1) It is nearly October. It is officially autumn. Even though it has been rather hot and sticky the past couple of days, one might expect cool weather to be approaching. So why don't the local department stores have any long sleeve dresses out yet?
2) Talbot's did have a jacket dress. A jacket dress is a good thing. Big fabric flower sewn to the breast of the dress, however, not so much.
3) While I was in various stores, I walked through the shoe departments. I did not note the manufacturer, but somebody has come out with an open-toe suede boot. If it is cool enough out to wear a suede boot, you need closed toe shoes. Trust me on this.
4) I gave up on the more upscale mall shops and headed over to the Fair City Mall. Dress Barn had a nearly acceptable dress. It was a perfectly reasonable grey sweater dress, with just one little problem. Namely, it had 3/4 length sleeves. If it is cold enough out to wear a sweater dress, it is cold enough out to have all of my arms covered.
5) There is at least one manufacturer who makes lovely clothing in prints I adore but does not make them in any size below 3X. There are numerous manufacturers who make clothing I like who do not manufacture anything above a size 14. This is annoying.
I did, in the end, find a perfectly lovely cranberry sweater dress. (Note that I firmly believe that one cannot own too many red dresses.) But it took far longer than I'd have liked.